james-server-user mailing list archives

From Pete Williams <pxc...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: A lot of emails not reaching their destination, what can I do?
Date Mon, 22 Mar 2010 08:31:39 GMT

Thanks to both people who replied, the response below gave me a clue, and lead em to a solution.

The problem was PTR records and reverse IP lookup. It seems more and more mailservers are
doing a reverse IP lookup and comparing that to the banner. If they don't match your email
will not be delivered. It apparently is a not entirely valid way to go about things, but it
is none the less what is happening.

Having corrected this, our emails are now getting through.

PTR records have to be set by the owner of the IP address, not the owner of the domain. We
have servers in 3 continents, and when approached each hosting company was able to help us
set this. 2 had DIY tools, 1 had to set it for you.

This website is great for telling you if you have a problem.

http://www.mxtoolbox.com/

Put your site in, and then do an SMTP check.

Regards,

> Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 08:22:56 +0100
> From: martijn.list@gmail.com
> To: server-user@james.apache.org
> Subject: Re: A lot of emails not reaching their destination, what can I do?
>
>  > What I'm hoping for is simply some feedback and ideas. What can I do
> to reduce this number? Is there something else I should do or check?
>
> Are you sure the helo name is the correct name? The helo name of an
> email server should be equal to the reverse IP lookup. If not, a lot of
> servers will flag the emails as spam.
>
> You can check the helo name using the following service:
>
> http://cbl.abuseat.org/helocheck.html
>
> (send an email to helocheck@cbl.abuseat.org with the system you want to
> check, and a bounce message will show you the helo name)
>
> Pete Williams wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > First of all, I know this is not a James issue, but I don't know where to else to
ask, and the responses might help others setting up an email server.

> > James seems to be working perfectly well, however...
> >
> > A very high percentage of emails we send from James (say around a third) are not
being delivered, for anti-spam reasons maybe. We are not spamming, BTW :)

> > Here is the background that might be relevant.
> >
> > 1. Domain names are just a couple of weeks old. There are 3.
> >
> > 2. IP address is a reputable hosting company in each case: in the UK, US and Australia.
> >
> > 3. The emails are to help people sign-up for a trial software service they've asked
for (ie, they've entered their name and email address for the trial into a web page). We are
trying to send the sign-up info. No attachments are sent. One email is HTML, the second plain
text. Both emails have URL links in them.

> > 4. We have set-up the MX records ourselves and who knows, maybe we made a mistake?
However, for the other 66% it works just fine. The domain name is set to the IP addr that
the email comes from.

> > For the emails not delivered, we frequently receive absolutely no response back
- no bounce, nothing. Other times it's clear it's a spam issue, because the bounce back says
so.

> > I am not permitted to post the domain names on public forums, but if the admins
want to check them out I can email privately.