james-server-user mailing list archives

From Pete Williams <pxc...@hotmail.com>
Subject A lot of emails not reaching their destination, what can I do?
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2010 17:34:51 GMT

Hi

First of all, I know this is not a James issue, but I don't know where to else to ask, and
the responses might help others setting up an email server.

James seems to be working perfectly well, however...

A very high percentage of emails we send from James (say around a third) are not being delivered,
for anti-spam reasons maybe. We are not spamming, BTW :)

Here is the background that might be relevant.

1. Domain names are just a couple of weeks old. There are 3.

2. IP address is a reputable hosting company in each case: in the UK, US and Australia.

3. The emails are to help people sign-up for a trial software service they've asked for (ie,
they've entered their name and email address for the trial into a web page). We are trying
to send the sign-up info. No attachments are sent. One email is HTML, the second plain text.
Both emails have URL links in them.

4. We have set-up the MX records ourselves and who knows, maybe we made a mistake? However,
for the other 66% it works just fine. The domain name is set to the IP addr that the email
comes from.

For the emails not delivered, we frequently receive absolutely no response back - no bounce,
nothing. Other times it's clear it's a spam issue, because the bounce back says so.

I am not permitted to post the domain names on public forums, but if the admins want to check
them out I can email privately.

What I'm hoping for is simply some feedback and ideas. What can I do to reduce this number?
Is there something else I should do or check?

Cheers,

Got a cool Hotmail story? Tell us now
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/