james-server-user mailing list archives

From "martijn.list" <martijn.l...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A lot of emails not reaching their destination, what can I do?
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2010 07:22:56 GMT
 > What I'm hoping for is simply some feedback and ideas. What can I do
to reduce this number? Is there something else I should do or check?

Are you sure the helo name is the correct name? The helo name of an
email server should be equal to the reverse IP lookup. If not, a lot of
servers will flag the emails as spam.

You can check the helo name using the following service:

http://cbl.abuseat.org/helocheck.html

(send an email to helocheck@cbl.abuseat.org with the system you want to
check, and a bounce message will show you the helo name)

Pete Williams wrote:
> Hi
>
> First of all, I know this is not a James issue, but I don't know where to else to ask,
and the responses might help others setting up an email server.

> James seems to be working perfectly well, however...
>
> A very high percentage of emails we send from James (say around a third) are not being
delivered, for anti-spam reasons maybe. We are not spamming, BTW :)

> Here is the background that might be relevant.
>
> 1. Domain names are just a couple of weeks old. There are 3.
>
> 2. IP address is a reputable hosting company in each case: in the UK, US and Australia.
>
> 3. The emails are to help people sign-up for a trial software service they've asked for
(ie, they've entered their name and email address for the trial into a web page). We are trying
to send the sign-up info. No attachments are sent. One email is HTML, the second plain text.
Both emails have URL links in them.

> 4. We have set-up the MX records ourselves and who knows, maybe we made a mistake? However,
for the other 66% it works just fine. The domain name is set to the IP addr that the email
comes from.

> For the emails not delivered, we frequently receive absolutely no response back - no
bounce, nothing. Other times it's clear it's a spam issue, because the bounce back says so.

> I am not permitted to post the domain names on public forums, but if the admins want
to check them out I can email privately.

> What I'm hoping for is simply some feedback and ideas. What can I do to reduce this number?
Is there something else I should do or check?

> Cheers,

> Got a cool Hotmail story? Tell us now

Djigzo open source email encryption