james-server-user mailing list archives

From Zach Valentiner <zvalenti...@gmail.com>
Subject Failure at Step 10 of the Quickstart Guide on the James Wiki; connection refused when trying to telnet to remote manager from localhost
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2010 14:54:02 GMT
My JAMES install (2.3.1) recently stopped working; I was not the person who
initially installed it, so I'm not up to speed on the technical
underworkings of JAMES. This person is also unsure of what the problem may
be. This JAMES install is running on a Debian server, with a Tomcat server
running as well. The Tomcat server is running flawlessly. I don't have any
more precise specs of the system offhand, but I could find them if needed.

I installed 2.3.2 to see if this might fix the problem, and went through the
initial configuration steps, but at step #10 met the same errors that I was
encountering before. Namely,

telnet localhost 4555

is met with an abrupt

I get this error when trying with both 2.3.1 and with 2.3.2. All of the
JAMES log files that I can find have no entires after the initial startup,
which seems to complete without error. As I am not able to log into the
remote manger, the configuration of the new JAMES install can't proceed. I
also assume that whatever is causing this is what caused the problems in the
first place.

I'm not sure where precisely the underlying issue lies, or how to isolate
it. It's possible that the error lies outside of JAMES, but JAMES is the
only application that seems to be affected. Any assistance or ideas would be
greatly appreciated.