james-server-user mailing list archives

From "david.moss" <david.m...@sunnybar.dynip.com>
Subject RE: A lot of emails not reaching their destination, what can I do?
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2010 00:27:35 GMT
Are you using words in your e-mail that are likely to be trapped by a
Bayesian filter?

DM

-----Original Message-----
From: Pete Williams [mailto:pxc433@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, 19 March 2010 3:35 AM
To: server-user@james.apache.org
Subject: A lot of emails not reaching their destination, what can I do?

Hi

First of all, I know this is not a James issue, but I don't know where to
else to ask, and the responses might help others setting up an email server.

James seems to be working perfectly well, however...

A very high percentage of emails we send from James (say around a third) are
not being delivered, for anti-spam reasons maybe. We are not spamming, BTW
:)

Here is the background that might be relevant.

1. Domain names are just a couple of weeks old. There are 3.

2. IP address is a reputable hosting company in each case: in the UK, US and
Australia.

3. The emails are to help people sign-up for a trial software service
they've asked for (ie, they've entered their name and email address for the
trial into a web page). We are trying to send the sign-up info. No
attachments are sent. One email is HTML, the second plain text. Both emails
have URL links in them.

4. We have set-up the MX records ourselves and who knows, maybe we made a
mistake? However, for the other 66% it works just fine. The domain name is
set to the IP addr that the email comes from.

For the emails not delivered, we frequently receive absolutely no response
back - no bounce, nothing. Other times it's clear it's a spam issue, because
the bounce back says so.

I am not permitted to post the domain names on public forums, but if the
admins want to check them out I can email privately.

What I'm hoping for is simply some feedback and ideas. What can I do to
reduce this number? Is there something else I should do or check?

Cheers,