james-server-user mailing list archives

From Kenneth Wombo <ke2wo...@hotmail.com>
Subject Problems with running JAMES as non-root
Date Sat, 05 Sep 2009 09:56:23 GMT

Hello, I'm setting up JAMES 2.3.2 and I'm trying to run it as a daemon via a non-root user
on an Ubuntu server.  Based on advice from old threads I've found I've used iptables to redirect
the standard mail ports to non-privileged ones (above 38000) and set those in the config.xml
for JAMES.  I've tested out the port redirection using netcat and that seems to be working.

I have also chowned all of the files to be owned by the non-root user.

When I run phoenix.sh as root it looks like everything is working - I see the JAMES process
through ps -e and jps and I can telnet into the remote manager.

But when I try to start it as my non-root user, although phoenix.sh appears to run normally
and it reports a process ID, when I look in ps -e there isn't any process with that id or
which otherwise corresponds to JAMES and I cannot connect to the remote manager.  Is there
anything I'm obviously doing wrong?  I'm relatively new to Linux administration.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Click less, chat more: Messenger on MSN.ca
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9677404