james-server-user mailing list archives

From Norman Maurer <nor...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problems with running JAMES as non-root
Date Sat, 05 Sep 2009 19:31:48 GMT
Any errors ?

Bye,
Norman

2009/9/5 Kenneth Wombo <ke2wombo@hotmail.com>:

> Hello, I'm setting up JAMES 2.3.2 and I'm trying to run it as a daemon via a non-root
user on an Ubuntu server.  Based on advice from old threads I've found I've used iptables
to redirect the standard mail ports to non-privileged ones (above 38000) and set those in
the config.xml for JAMES.  I've tested out the port redirection using netcat and that seems
to be working.

> I have also chowned all of the files to be owned by the non-root user.
>
> When I run phoenix.sh as root it looks like everything is working - I see the JAMES process
through ps -e and jps and I can telnet into the remote manager.

> But when I try to start it as my non-root user, although phoenix.sh appears to run normally
and it reports a process ID, when I look in ps -e there isn't any process with that id or
which otherwise corresponds to JAMES and I cannot connect to the remote manager.  Is there
anything I'm obviously doing wrong?  I'm relatively new to Linux administration.