james-server-user mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: James and Postini
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2009 10:49:58 GMT
Martin Brown ha scritto:
> Sorry - I probably didn't make this clear. The problem exists when
> Postini is filtering outgoing email rather than the incoming side. Thus
> James is configured to use Postini as a Smarthost/Gateway, so no MX
> lookup happens within James. The MX lookup happens within Postini, but
> Postini relies on the sending MTA retrying the send to make this work.
>

> The flow is like this:
>                              DNS MX Lookup
> Exchange ---> James ---> Postini ---> Destination-10
>                                   \
>                                    -> Destination-20
>
> James is processing the outgoing email - it does not run any IMAP/POP
> services - email is SMTP in and SMTP out.
>
> The installation is at a customer so we cannot simply turn off Postini.

So JAMES connect Postini and Postini replies a 400: to what command?
Can you post some detail on the SMTP conversation leading to this 400 error?

I don't know any MTA that will make a second retry in the same
connection to Postini. Many MTA do not even support multiple
transactions in a single connection.

I bet, but I'm simply guessing, that exchange is not retrying
immediatly. Maybe Exchange simply retry earlier. Try to lower the first
attempt retry in your remotedelivery configuration.

Stefano