james-server-user mailing list archives

From Martin Brown <martin.br...@3bview.com>
Subject James and Postini
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2009 09:34:00 GMT
Hi,

We've hit an issue when sending via Postini from James.

The destination email system has two servers listed in DNS, one with
cost 10 and the other with cost 20. The server with cost 10 does not
accept connections. The other appears ok.

Postini don't spool email - they operate as a thin proxy. Therefore when
the connection fails Postini send back a 400 code. The intention is that
the originating email server retries the send immediately on the same
connection. Postini will then try to deliver the email to the higher
cost MX server.

James operates according to the RFCs and queues the message for a later
delivery attempt. However, since the later delivery is on a new TCP/IP
connection, Postini has lost the state and retries delivery to the lower
cost MX server. Thus delivery can never succeed.

Has anyone found a workaround to this issue? I can't see anything in the
RFCs that specify the behaviour that Postini rely on, but I can't see
them changing the way their email system works.

Thanks

Martin

Filtered by 3BClean from http://www.3bview.com