james-server-user mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: documentation & configuration
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:46:09 GMT
John Saxton ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently downloaded James binary & source & am trying to get myself
> acquainted with it.
>
> Although there is some good documentation around, I can't seem to find
> answers to some of my questions (apologies if I haven't looked hard
> enough/spent enough time reading up on general ideas)
>
> So,
>
> Is there a general overview of how the different services work together
> - the process of receiving mail, putting it onto spools & subsequent
> processing?

Unfortunately no.

But I can give you some hint:

1) SMTPServer: receives messages and send them to the spool.
  1b) FetchMail: similar to SMTPServer, but it is scheduled and read
messages from another POP3 server.
2) SpoolManager: manage messages in the spool, reading the new one and
executing processors.
3) RemoteDelivery is a special mailet: it manage its own delivery spool
and do the actual delivery.
4) LocalDelivery is a special mailet: it store the message in the inboxes.
5) POP3Server read the messages from the inboxes.

> I looked through the posting archives, but couldn't find an answer to
> the following question - is it possible to have multiple James instances
> running & have each instance responsible for a predetermined clump of
> users?

users or domains?
Try explaining better what you expect/you're trying to achieve and I'll
try to give you an hint.

> Is there accessible documentation on Phoenix? Since Avalon is closed, I
> couldn't find a source of information on it.

Unfortunately no. Phoenix/Avalon are not difficult, but documentation is
really lacking. I remember it took a lot to me to find out what exactly
happens under the hood.

Btw the key part to understand what are the componens and how they
interact is looking at the assembly.xml descriptor (james-assembly.xml
in the source tree). This show you what components are used and what are
their dependencies. The initialize/configure/service methods from the
components main classes will explain what exactly happens then.

> I'm looking to try & get James up & running locally in a usable manner
> (Only got it running in a test configuration so far) and possibly to
> work on the code. The above requested information would help me greatly
> in this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Unfortunately you only get the javadocs for JAMES Server, some docs in
the website and some page (maybe outdated) in the WIKI. Not too much,
but please ask specific questions and I'll try to reply.

Stefano