james-server-user mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: James and MySQL 4.1
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 22:00:54 GMT
> We should change the default length for repository_name to 100 for
> mysql spool and mail tables.

Keep in mind that so long as the repository name has anything to do with the
local part of the SMTP address, there are required minimum lengths.  See RFC
2821 section  The minimum for the local part is 64 characters, so
the proposed change would not put us out of compliance with the RFC.

However, the repository name is directly used in the POP3 handler (there is
no mapping table on that side), and although there is no minimum imposed
size by RFC 1939, for those sites who choose to use a patch allowing the
repository name to consist of both the SMTP local part and the domain name,
the minimum is 64 + 255 = 319.

The virtual user table allows the repository name to be entirely divorced
from the SMTP address, keeping us fully in compliance with the RFCs, so it
doesn't bother me if we make that an impossible size, since I think that is
an approach based upon flawed understanding of the protocols, but keep in
mind the consequences.

	--- Noel