james-server-user mailing list archives

From "Daniel Perry" <d.pe...@netcase.co.uk>
Subject RE: Cannot receive email in my james server (I can send ok)
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:27:24 GMT
This is probably a firewall issue.

If you have another pc on your network, can you connect to it from that?

If so, then it's probably either: router (port forwarding/firewall?) or your
ISP - A lot of isps will block mail servers. Some isps will open it up for
your ip if you ask nicely, and only do so if it's not set up as an open
relay.

Do you have a static IP, or dynamic?

If dynamic then definitely use the dyndns name for the mx record.
Otherwise, you could use either - but the isp one wouldn't require the
dyndns at all.

Another issue that you probably will come across: If you host a mail server
on an adsl/other consumer line, then you will probably get bounced emails
from people who use block lists- eg. my pipex adsl line is listed in some of
the dns-block-lists as it's dynamic adsl. You can overcome this by using
your providers mail sever as a gateway.

Daniel.