james-server-user mailing list archives

From "Seib, Broc" <bs...@purdue.edu>
Subject RE: SMTP_AUTH or not to SMTP_AUTH
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2005 20:54:34 GMT

I run apache james 2.2.0 and use SMTP_AUTH "selectively".

Actually when you have SMTP_AUTH enabled, it is only required of the
client if the recipient hostname is not found in your list of
servernames. So given:

  <servernames autodetect="false" autodetectIP="false">
     <servername>mailhome.foo.domain</servername>
     <servername>moremail.foo.domain</servername>
  </servernames>

If a message is sent to "user@mailhome.foo.domain" or to
"user@moremail.foo.domain" then SMTP_AUTH is not required.

But if a message were sent to "user@otherhost.foo.domain" or
"user@outside.world.domain", then SMTP_AUTH must take place.

Also, there is the
<authorizedAddresses>xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/xxx</authorizedAddresses> section
where you can enumerate address of senders that don't require SMTP_AUTH
in order to relay.

So if your hardware devices are sending mail to a domain you control,
then you should be fine. If you can count of the addresses of the
devices, you'll be fine. Otherwise you could write a mailet that matches
mail coming from those specific devices and let them go out.

If for some reason you must run a separate SMTP server, I have been
successfully running multiple copies of james within one phoenix
container.

-broc