james-server-user mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject Re: xdocking
Date Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:10:24 GMT

Hes,

> I have a template that transforms this to xdoc format as expected. It
> works quite well already!

Sounds great.

> It's a bit tedious to copy the original xdocs file back to the xdoclet
> template, but it may be worth the trouble.

I think it would be worth it.

I haven't got any experience of xdoclet, apart from watching it in action,
but I think this is the way to go.

My plan for docs is that
1/ we have the website as a seperate "component" managed independantly
2/ the release manager is responsible for also building docs for the
release version (no need for this to involve more than an extra commit of
the generated docs)
3/ docs will be published under version label directories so that we can
have multiple doc sets live at once, say "stable" and "head"
4/ historic docs would still be available in downloads or split downloads
into src, bin , & doc

This means that xdoclet would be a great way of documenting mailets &
matchers, but also means that we would separate website from product docs
so that we could move towards a "manual" style rather than a web-site
style, for the product docs. I think Ant is a good example of what I'm
thinking.

We might even find it worthwhile using xdoclet for documenting more
components which implement public interfaces, such as processor, mail
repository, and protocol handler.

WDYT?

d.

(p.s. it might be better to move this discussion to general@james)