james-server-user mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject RE: Basic JAMES questions
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2004 11:32:53 GMT

> On the DNS issue, is there a place where a guy, "a regular joe like
> myself", should go to let the world (i.e., the world's DNS servers)
> know that the IP for his domain has changed? I assume my current hosts
> will do this but this has always baffled me.

The people who register/host your root nameservers (i.e. who host your
domain name) will be responsible for either..

a/ maintaining a record (in the registration information) which points to a
nameserver which you control
or
b/ maintaining the "zone files" which record all the DNS entires for your
domain.

The most common situation for "ordinary joes" is that you register your
name using an online registrar and they also provide web access to the zone
files so that you can chnage your DNS entries on-line. You normally have to
wait between 6 and 24 hours for the change to happen and because DNS data
is cached and has a time-to-live (TTL) a further 12 to 24 or even 48hrs for
it to propogate round the whole world.

DNS can seem impenetrable at first but it is really quite a simple thing in
practice as well as theory.

d.

viruses.