james-server-user mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Is James Thread Safe?
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 14:26:54 GMT
Marcello Marangio wrote:

> I am developing a certified mail server with james.

What is a "certified mail server" in this context?

> The mailet reads the security information (i.e. X509 signing certificates)
> from a java keystore. I want to use a standard PKCS11 interface to get the
> certificates from an HSM we are about to buy, but at the moment I am
testing
> the pkcs11 interface with a smart card reader.
> I am using IAIK to handle the security infos.

You may not be aware of it, but there is James code for signing messages and
checking signatures.  Vincenzo wrote the code last year, and should be
merging it into CVS soon.

> Do I have to worry about synchronizing accesses from multiple threads to
the
> security device?

That depends upon your code.  As far as I know, James is thread safe.  Does
that mean your code is, or the libraries upon which you depend?  We can't
answer that question.

	--- Noel