james-server-user mailing list archives

From "Stephen Gaines" <viper_w...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Open relay
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2004 15:20:52 GMT
By default, james accepts only email form the local host using the
RemoteAddrNotInNetwork=127.0.0.1 matcher.  Your ISP may be expecting your
server to completly reject mail if the user does not authenticat, which can
be done as follows.

In your configuration, comment out the RemoteAddrNotInNetwork=127.0.0.1
matcher by surounding it with <!-- and -->

         <!--
         <mailet match="RemoteAddrNotInNetwork=127.0.0.1"
class="ToProcessor">
            <processor>spam</processor>
         </mailet>
         -->

Then turn on SMTP authentication, the default configuration should have it
in, but commented out, so remove the <!-- -->.

   <smtpserver enabled="true">
         <authRequired>true</authRequired>
   </smtpserver>

No one will be able to send email through your server without authenticating
first.  If they try without authentication, the SMTP server will reject the
mail without any processing, there by letting the ISP test engine know from
the start mail wont be relayed.