james-server-user mailing list archives

From "Brian J. Sayatovic" <t...@one.net>
Subject Re: using James to queue outgoing mail and forward to another smtp server
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2004 02:58:48 GMT
Glen wrote:

> Hello James User List,
> I am managing 300 kiosks that has quite a robust notification system
> that uses email.  The only hole in it is their must be a good internet
> connection to the central smtp server for the "robust" emails to go out.
> What I want to do is setup james on each of these kiosks to act as a
> local smtp server forwarding all mail to the "central" smtp server.
> This way it will queue when the network is down.
> I have looked into the docs and played with an installation but cannot
> find where to start.  Can someone push/nudge me in the right direction?
>
> regards,
> Glen
>
> PS I also want to make sure that outgoing smtp services are "locked"
> down so the kiosks down become spam distribution points ;-)     Please
> share ideas on how best to do this as well...

Don't kow why it took the parent message to inspire this in me, but
places like RoadRunner block my James server because its coming from my
DSL line.  Can I configure James to act as a local SMTP gateway but
deliver everythign through my DSL provider's SMTP server (the one I'd
normally point to in my mail client if I weren't a geek runnign my own
Java mail server)?

Regards,
Brian.