james-server-user mailing list archives

From bbrewer <bbre...@tregyr.com>
Subject Re: Basic JAMES questions
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 15:45:59 GMT
Two questions for you:
1) Do you have a domain name server?
2) Are you running your mail server (James) on 63.198.128.215?

If the answer is yes to both -
/1. Setting aside the domain question, now that I've set up James, how
do I address the incoming mail server. Would it be
mail.kingdomrpg.com?
/You'll need to set this up in the zone record on your domain server.
Fot this you need at least the following three entries:
An "A" record (maps the ip to the domain name) on your zone for the
actual name of the mail server to its IP address.
An "CNAME" record mapping the actual name of the mail server to
mail.kingdomrpg.com.
Then you need an "MX" record to map declare the mail domain name as the
default mail handler for kingdomrpg.com

This is an example of a zone record for Bind using your info.

$ORIGIN kingdomprg.com
$TTL 86400
@     IN     SOA    [dns server name goes here].kingdomrpg.com.     hostmaster.kingdomrpg.com.
(
                    2001062501 ; serial
                    21600      ; refresh after 6 hours
                    3600       ; retry after 1 hour
                    604800     ; expire after 1 week
                    86400 )    ; minimum TTL of 1 day

      IN     NS     [dns server name goes here] .kingdomrpg.com.

      IN     MX     10     mail.kingdomrpg.com.

             IN     A       63.198.128.215

[mail server name goes here]      IN     A       63.198.128.215
[dns server name goes here]       IN     A       63.198.128.215

mail         IN     CNAME   [mail server name goes here]

/2. Would the outgoing be pop.kingdomrpg.com, pop3.kingdomrpg.com, or
smtp.kingdomrpg.com?/
With the above completed, you now use mail.kingdomrpg.com for both the pop and smtp entries
in your mail client.

/3. Now considering the domain, would the incoming and outgoing be
addressed mail.[63.198.128.215]?
/No.  If you set up an account for "tester" on the James server, you should be able to use
"tester@kingdomrpg.com".
That's what the "MX" record is for - to have "mail.kingdomrpg.com" to handle all mail for
"kingdomrpg.com".  The "CNAME" then
maps "mail.kingdomrpg.com" to whatever actual server you have James deployed on - ie, "someserver.kingdomrpg.com".
 The "A" record maps the servername to the IP address - ie, "someserver.kingdomrpg.com" =
/63.198.128.215/

/4. James can "auto-detect" IPs and domains, I believe. Does that mean
James will be aware when [63.198.128.215] = kingdomrpg.com, or should
I manually enter this stuff?
/You probably want to manually enter this in case you want to run multiple domains...

Good Luck!

If you need help, feel free to contact me (off the forum) at bbrewer@tregyr.com.

Brian Brewer