james-server-user mailing list archives

From Lahu <lahuonl...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Could not connect to SMTP host
Date Sun, 06 Jun 2004 21:59:31 GMT
Hey Rupert,

DNS Servers are simply used to look up IP addresses
against human-readable names.

E.g. www.itmatrix.com has an IP address 216.119.118.66
It is the DNS Server that resolves this IP address for
you so that your system could connect to that IP
address. A DNS Server has a number of different types
of records, which help in locating a machine/service
etc. on the web.

In a similar manner, Mail Servers usually look for MX
records in a DNS server. This MX record will actually
point your mail server to connect to the target or
destination mail server for mail delivery.

C:\> ipconfig /all

is a quick way to see what DNS servers your machine is
using. These DNS servers usually belong to the ISP, so
almost 99% of the time the burden of knowing,
managing, maintaining a DNS server is not an
end-user's headache.

Hope this helps !