james-server-user mailing list archives

From Soren Hilmer <soren.hil...@tietoenator.com>
Subject Re: Is James Thread Safe?
Date Sun, 06 Jun 2004 14:02:05 GMT
I have not seen Vincenzo's code (has he actually released it yet?)

But if Vincenzo has used BouncyCastle (IMO the market leading opensource JCA/
JCE provider) it is quite easy.

The way to make these things pluggable is to be able to specify another
secuity provider.
When we use BouncyCastle to generate S/MIME messages, then in the call to
generate the S/MIME (their SMIMESignedGenerator) we simply specify a
different security provider in the call to generate.
We have developed a JCE/JCA provider for the IBM4758  and use that to have it
use the hardware for signing.

Now JDK-1.5 comes with a PKCS#11 provider, so then it will be "out of the box"
to use hardware for cryptographic operations (sweeeet).

--Søren

On Friday 04 June 2004 16:57, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Søren Hilmer wrote:
> > > is anyone using an HSM? Any suggestion/advice about that?
> >
> > Yes, we are using the IBM-4758, but we not use their PKCS#11
> > interface though, IBM provides an alternative called CCA.
>
> Søren, is this something that we might want to make pluggable in Vincenzo's
> code?
>
> 	--- Noel

Søren Hilmer, M.Sc.
R&D manager             Phone:  +45 70 27 64 00
TietoEnator IT+ A/S     Fax:    +45 70 27 64 40
Ved Lunden 12           Direct: +45 87 46 64 57
DK-8230 Åbyhøj          Email:  soren.hilmer <at> tietoenator.com