james-server-user mailing list archives

From Soren Hilmer <soren.hil...@tietoenator.com>
Subject Re: Is James Thread Safe?
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 14:25:12 GMT
On Friday 04 June 2004 16:02, Marcello Marangio wrote:
> Hi all.
> I am developing a certified mail server with james.
> The mailet reads the security information (i.e. X509 signing certificates)
> from a java keystore. I want to use a standard PKCS11 interface to get the
> certificates from an HSM we are about to buy, but at the moment I am
> testing the pkcs11 interface with a smart card reader.
> I am using IAIK to handle the security infos.
> Everithing works fine so far.
>
> This is the scenario; now the question...
>
> Do I have to worry about synchronizing accesses from multiple threads to
> the security device?
>
> In other words: Is James Thread Safe?

Well here the correct question should be, are your security device driver
thread-safe.

What you probably wish to know is, if multiple threads can excute mailet/
matcher code simultaneous, and the answer to this is: Yes they can!

This does not mean that James is not thread-safe though, actually the
contrary, it is thread-safe because threads can run the same code without
stepping on each others toes.

If your security device driver is not thread-safe, you can of course
encapsulate calls to it with synchronized statements, but you will definately
get a performance degradation on high load.

> Furthermore, is anyone using an HSM? Any suggestion/advice about that?

Yes, we are using the IBM-4758, but we not use their PKCS#11 interface though,
IBM provides an alternative called CCA.

--Søren

> Thanks a million
>
> Marcello Marangio
> Tecnopolis CSATA Novus Ortus s.c.r.l.
> Divisione Tecnologie & Sistemi
> 70010 Valenzano (BA)
> e-mail: m.marangio@tno.it
> ITALY

Søren Hilmer, M.Sc.
R&D manager             Phone:  +45 70 27 64 00
TietoEnator IT+ A/S     Fax:    +45 70 27 64 40
Ved Lunden 12           Direct: +45 87 46 64 57
DK-8230 Åbyhøj          Email:  soren.hilmer <at> tietoenator.com