james-server-user mailing list archives

From "Rupert Young" <rup...@liberty.nildram.co.uk>
Subject RE: Could not connect to SMTP host (Oh yes I can!!)
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2004 20:56:24 GMT
Thanks. I had actually installed James (phoenix) as a service (Win XP),
but keep getting this error.

INFO   | jvm 1    | 2004/06/07 21:22:14 |
org.apache.avalon.framework.component.ComponentException: Cannot find or
init repository: access denied (java.io.FilePermission
C:\Apache\James\james-2.1.3\apps\james\var\mail\spool read)

I have tried unchecking the read only box on folder properties, but this
doesn't seem to do anything.

I tried your method but the service stopped right away, maybe with the
same problem. Are there log files?  How do I remove the services?

Regards,
Rupert

-----Original Message-----
From: B. Buecking [mailto:bryan.buecking@mediamines.com]
Sent: 06 June 2004 23:33
To: rupert@liberty.nildram.co.uk
Subject: RE: Could not connect to SMTP host (Oh yes I can!!)

> Anyway, thanks for your help and the next
> problem is to work out why I can't start James as a Windows service!

There is some documentation regarding James installation as a windows
service.  I found these doc's to be useful, but here's what I did.

Hope this helps.  If you run into any trouble, let me know.

Install JAMES as a Windows Service

Requirements:
You'll need a couple of programs to get started.
	INSTSRV.EXE - Install a Service4
	SRVANY.EXE - Run apps as NT Service

http://www.electrasoft.com/srvany/srvany.htm

1. Copy these two files to your preferred directory.
In this example I will use "U:\java\james-2.1.3\bin"
Open up a dos prompt (Start->run->Type "cmd")
U:\java\james-2.1.3\bin>instsrv.exe "James Mail"
u:\java\james-2.1.4\bin\srvany.exe

Program Output:
CreateService SUCCESS at creating:

James Mail

You must now go to the Registry and the Services applet in the Control
Panel and edit them as per the instructions.

2.  Verify that the service was created correctly, check the registry to
verify that the ImagePath value under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\James Mail is
correctly point to the location in which srvany.exe resides.  Failing to
check this may cause your service to fail.

3. Open Regedit (Start->run->Type "regedit") and browse to the newly
created James Mail Service Key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\James Mail

4. Add a new Key (Edit New Key) called Parameters
	James Mail\Parameters

5. Add new String Value to the Parameters Key (Edit String Value)
	The value should be the exact location of the run.bat file.
	Ie U:\Java\james-2.1.3\bin\run.bat

6. Verify Service Installation
Open up the services.msc (Start->run->Type "services.msc")
	Locate the James Mail service start it.
Note: by default services are set to startup automatically.