james-server-user mailing list archives

From Dick Dowdell <ddowd...@argsol.com>
Subject Re: A good spam tool
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2003 17:47:37 GMT
I have real concerns about some of the techniques people are using to
block spam.  Anything that blocks 100% of the spam is bound to block aq
lot of legitimate mail.  Content analysis is one of those shotgun-like
techniques that blocks too much of the good along with the bad.

One of the most promising techniques, to me, is graylisting
(http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/).  It won't block any mail
from properly configured legitimate mail servers while increasing the
processing costs of any spammer who wants to circumvent it.  However,
given the way James works, I can't see any way to implement a
graylisting mailet. If I'm wrong, I'd appreciate someone setting me
straight before I waste time building a filter in front of James.

Regards,
Dick Dowdell
Argosy Solutions