james-server-user mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: SPAM Ideas
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2003 15:00:46 GMT
>   1. James will reject the all connections from Mail Servers that are
>      in the SPAM Server list.

At some point, I or someone else will do more with the fast-fail filters.
See the 'Protocol-based "fast-fail"' section of
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JamesV3/Plans

If you insist on rejecting by IP today, you can have your mailet add the IP
address to a list, and use ipchains or iptables to block that IP address.
However, as noted in the above commentary, that is a violation of
RFC2821/4.5.1, since you are preventing e-mail to the postmaster address.
It is possibly a sufficient violation to get you block listed on
rfc-ignorant.org.

>   2. James will reject the all connections from SPAM registered users

Again, this would be a fast-fail filter on the MAIL FROM command.  Not hard
to do, but easily bypassed.  See the "What about allowing developers to
process messages during the SMTP session?" topic here:
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JamesDocumentationNotes.

Meanwhile, James already has both of these facilities in the mailet
pipeline.

	--- Noel