james-server-user mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: SPAM Ideas
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2003 15:13:59 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>  1. James will reject the all connections from Mail Servers that are
>>     in the SPAM Server list.
>
> If you insist on rejecting by IP today, you can have your mailet add the IP
> address to a list, and use ipchains or iptables to block that IP address.
> However, as noted in the above commentary, that is a violation of
> RFC2821/4.5.1, since you are preventing e-mail to the postmaster address.
> It is possibly a sufficient violation to get you block listed on
> rfc-ignorant.org.

When I get a call from a telemarketer, assuming no kids are screaming, I
try to stay on the phone as long as I can bare, letting them speak their
full pitch.  I've gotten quite good at saying "uh huh", "yeah", "no"
until they want to take personal info or a signature, and then I just
hang up.

The longer it takes, the more it costs them.  Similar notion for
spamming... if a spammer has to wait to find an open relay and write
extra logic to see if it's found an open relay, then it makes their life
harder.

--
Serge Knystautas
President