james-server-user mailing list archives

From Jim Janson <jjan...@adelphia.net>
Subject Store mail in Maildir repository from Mailet
Date Fri, 02 May 2003 19:10:46 GMT
Hi,

We currently have a SqWebMail/qmail system to provide
web based mail for our users.  All mail is accessed using
SqWebMail, i.e.  no POP3 access.  We would like to
move to using James as our mail server primarily for the Mailet
support.   There are some mail processing things we'd like
to do and the Mailet API is a great match.

We have invested some effort into customizing/branding
the SqWebMail interface and would prefer not to have to
replace it in the short term.  Eventually, we'll probably replace
it with an IMP based solution.  The problem is that SqWebMail
only deals with getting mail from Maildir mailboxes and James
does not currently support this storage format.  I know that
James is looking at using JavaMail for it's mail repository in
the V3 timeframe but my needs are more immediate; say 1-2
months.

It occurred to me that I might be able to write a Mailet that
will take local mail and, using JavaMaildir, write the mail into
the appropriate Maildir mailbox.  With the mail in the Maildir
mailboxes, SqWebMail users can access it as before.

So, I have a couple questions on this approach.  I know it
seems a little quirky but given the contraints, does it make
sense?  Has anyone done anything like this before?

Thanks,

Jim