james-server-user mailing list archives

From bo yang <b_y...@yahoo.com>
Subject Newbie Question: Can't receive any mail even it was sent by myself on the same machine where server is running, but I can get mail at Hotmail sent by James server from the same machine
Date Fri, 02 May 2003 15:09:27 GMT
Hi,

I am a newbie for James and I installed it on my
machine a couple days ago.

My environment:
Red Hat 9.0/Kernel 2.4.20-8/JDK1.4.1_01/James2.1.2.
Mail client: Pine /Nescape Mail Client

The Problem:
I configured my config.xml following the instruction
and started the server. It seemed every thing ok but I
couldn't get any incoming mail even I sent to myself
on the same machine where james server running.
(but I can send to outside mail, e.g. hotmail, and I
can get that mail from hotmail).The truth inbox of
mail client is alwasy nothing there.

My Own Trouble Shooting:
I checked everything, there are no exception in all
the log files. I turned on the debug mode in the
environmentatl.xml and it didn't help a lot. I even
turn off the firewall on my machine in case there is
any filter by OS security layer. Moreover,  I am sure
the mails I sent did not go to the
fiel://var/mail/spam .

I am thinking:
It seems to me that , the mail client I am using is
trying get the info from /var/spool/mail/$USER, and
the mail I am sending doesn't go to that place. I
change the config.xml to point to that repo,
<inboxRepository>
         <repository
destinationURL="file:///var/spool/mail/" type="MAIL"/>
      </inboxRepository>
But it doesn't work.

I don't know if it matters or not, but I have to tell
you my hostname and DNS server only valid in the LAN
system behind the cable modem and router, since I
don't have static IP address on the internet.I have
two network interface card, one is setup with a static
ip addess, the other one is dynamic
address(192.168.0.2) get from my router.

So here I am, I am quite confused and lost some sleep.
What I did wrong?

Need help very much , please!

Thanks,

Bo

I attach the logs file(A single file cancatnate all
the log file in the var/logs directory) and my
config.xml file for your references.