james-server-user mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: POSTMASTER account
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2003 18:55:55 GMT
> You mention that the POSTMASTER account is necessary to
> service the e-mail infrastructure, but blocking policies may
> be used to balance everything out.

Frankly, based upon the spam I receive, it is unlikely that much would be
blocked.  I think that *might* be reasonable to block spam to postmaster@
where the RCPT TO was for the postmaster, but the TO: headers don't
specifically reference the postmaster, and it impose a size limit.

In other words, IF you are determined by the shortcut filtering to be a
spammer, then we must still accept mail for postmaster@, but we can
terminate the connection after a single e-mail, and bounce the e-mail if it
doesn't meet requirements (with a notice of what those requirements are).

We've discussed this a bit in james-dev.  I have not run that idea by anyone
associated with www.rfc-ignorant.org, but it appears to fit with their "we
wouldn't list folks if the rejection message for postmaster seemed to
indicate the reason for denial" comments.

	--- Noel