james-server-user mailing list archives

From "Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini" <vincenzo.gianferrarip...@praxis.it>
Subject RE: Antivirus matcher available
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2003 11:37:01 GMT
Hi everybody,

I took Cesar's antivirus matcher and made some changes to it:

1) Made it more OS independent (using System Property "file.separator").
2) Made it more AV software independent, using a "command line prototype"
and a list of the valid exit codes from the scanner.
3) If a virus is found nows it does a "mail.setErrorMessage" with the output
or report of the scan.
4) It appends a small notification string to the message subject.
5) More exception handling.
6) Added some javadoc and made some cosmetic changes to the code (spacing,
naming, indentation etc).
7) Changed the name of the matcher from HasVirus to IsInfected (just matter
of taste) and changed to a package of mine. Do what you want.

It seems to be working quite fine and fast; today I will put it in my
production server and let you know.

In the attached .zip file you'll find the java source, the single javadoc
html page related to the class (where you can find some documentation about
the config.xml setting and an usage example for McAfee VirusScan under
Windows), and the "test" virus EICAR (not a real one - just a signature
agreed among the antivirus makers); to use the latter just rename it from
eicar.txt to eicar.com and attach it to your test messages.

If you have a memory resident antivirus scanner (like VShield) guarding your
James server machine, don't forget to exclude from such automatic scan: (1)
the "temp" directory (where James copies some parts of the message during
it's normal processing), (2) the temporary directory specified to this
matcher as the place into which create "target directories" to scan with the
command line scanner, and (3) the James directory itself (not sure of this).

Everybody please feel free to use/change this matcher and let me know of any
problems. I will keep it up to date if any bug is found.

If anyone has any question let me know.

Thank you all and thanks to Cesar Bonadio.

Vincenzo