james-server-user mailing list archives

From "Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini" <vincenzo.gianferrarip...@praxis.it>
Subject RE: Password encryption algorithm.
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2003 13:04:11 GMT
Javier,

I am answering you back through the list.

It looks like your linux md5 digested passwords are already in base-64 (the
BigInteger(x, 16) constructor builds from base-16, that's why you get the
exception), so no transformation should be done. Just use them directly. I
need all the transformation because my md5 digests were in hexadecimal
(base-16).

One thing though: my strings were *not* "linux passwords", so I'm not
familiar with them; are you sure that they are md5 digests of the user
passwords (somebody in this list could confirm it, or tell something more
about)? They seem too long to be an md5 digest in base-64. Anyhow, you need
to truncate them to 20 characters, as James wants them that way.

Bye,

Vincenzo