james-server-user mailing list archives

From "Randahl Fink Isaksen" <rand...@rockit.dk>
Subject RE: MSN accounts and DNS
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2003 14:46:31 GMT
Greg, the first thing to do is to submit your IP address to ordb.org on
one of their web pages to make them test your server. If their relay
test bot sends you an e-mail telling that it has concluded that your
James installation is an open relay, you should check your configuration
file.

The simplest way to ensure that your e-mail server cannot be abused is
to require users to enter a password not only when retrieving their
e-mail through pop3 but also when sending e-mail through SMTP. There is
an attribute or tag for this somewhere in the configuration file (look
for the SMTP configuration).

Using this is great because you can log into your James server from
anywhere around the globe and send e-mail - but (which is the important
part) no one else can.

Good luck

Randahl

-----Original Message-----
From: Gregory J Bonk [mailto:gregory@gregorybonk.com]
Sent: 5. marts 2003 15:35
To: James Users List
Subject: RE: MSN accounts and DNS

I'm not familiar with ordb.org but I understand that MSN might be using
it and my email server might look like one that is blocked through Open
Relay.  My james email server is just running on my home machine with a
router and a broadband connection.  Can anyone suggest what I can do to
keep my machine from looking like one that Open relay might be blocking?

- Greg

> Have you check that your installation is not an open relay (using
> services like ordb.org) - Hotmail could be filtering you e-mails away
if
> they think your server is a spam server.
>
> Just a thought
>
> Randahl

MSN