james-server-user mailing list archives

From "Randahl Fink Isaksen" <rand...@rockit.dk>
Subject RE: Any dns change in 2.1.2?
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2003 08:45:48 GMT
I will really look forward to improvement on James' fault tolerance with
respect to the DNS. What Jay wrote:

> This was causing mail that I sent through James to be quietly
> dumped into the error queue, and coincidentally it couldn't even
bounce
> back to me for the same reason.

Earlier this year I tried the exact same thing. I too have experienced
e-mails being dumped into the error folder or even just disappearing
without me getting a bounce or the postmaster account getting a noticed.
According to my ISP I had a DNS misconfiguration problem - something
about an invalid MX record and more (admittedly I do not know everything
about DNS servers). The way I see it, James should not even be able to
sneeze without the hostmaster being notified. My companys e-mail
delivery is on the line, so if anything is just a little shaky I want to
know about it. But maybe I overlooked some configuration parameters
which could improve the postmaster notification? For instance, is it
possible to get notified if any kind of exception occurs?

Randahl