james-server-user mailing list archives

From "Peter M. Goldstein" <peter_m_goldst...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Slow transfer rate on POP3 server
Date Sat, 26 Oct 2002 20:01:11 GMT

Kaleb,

> > Run through the test case that is demonstrating the problem a few
times.
> > This will give us logs that reflect the situation.  Bundle the logs
and
> > your config.xml into a zip file and send to the list.
>
> Okay, here it is.
>
> I sent and received a 636k message three times.  As you can see from
the
> logs, the SMTP server received it quickly enough, but the POP3 server
took
> forever.

Ok, we're pretty sure we've got it.  Noel spotted the problem.

After the initial response where the POP3 server informs the client that
it is sending the message, there is no flushing of the stream.  This
leaves the flush at the server JVM discretion.  For most of us, it was
happening basically instantaneously.  For you, it wasn't.  Our
apologies.  :)

Anyway, the code change has been checked into the CVS.  You can take a
look at it there.

--Peter