james-server-user mailing list archives

From "jason sackett" <jason.copyt...@home.com>
Subject JAMES mail bounces
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2001 20:42:59 GMT
When I send a mail with a bad domain, I get this from JAMES:

        Delivery failure: javax.mail.MessagingException: No route found to
hotmail2.com

When I send a mail with a non-existent user, I get this from JAMES:

        Delivery failure: javax.mail.SendFailedException: Invalid Addresses;
          nested exception is:
        javax.mail.SendFailedException: 550 Requested action not taken:
mailbox unavailable

The first case merely makes it very inconvenient to find the bad recipient
address, the latter makes is impossible to disambiguate the bad address from
the good ones, as neither lists the offending recipient addresses.

It seems that this is not something that is properly fixed with a mailet.
Might this already be fixed in an upcoming release?
Is this just not really an issue (I believe that other mail servers commonly
refer to the recipient address in question when bouncing an email like
this.)?

Is my best bet to add this common functionality to the my own version of
JAMES myself?
I am doing some automated bounce/address correction handling (via forwarded
email request) currently, but I am trying to simplify and refine it.

I apologize for the slight run-on here, but I appreciate any insights
offered.

Thank you in advance,
Jason