james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [server] switching from "self-written" sql to JPA
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2010 08:39:34 GMT
2010/2/3 Norman Maurer <norman@apache.org>:
> Hi all,
>
> now with Spring its really easy to inject a EntityManager so I would
> like to propose to change our handwritten SQL stuff with JPA (using
> OpenJPA as default).  This will give us support of many db vendors out
> of the box and relay on a Standard.
>

> What do you think ?

What JDBC are you talking about ? the Mail/UserRepository stuff?
VirtuserTable? All of them?

I'm not sure "change" is the right approach for all of them now. For
Repositories we can simply add a JPA version to the current DB(JDBC)
and FILE versions, right?

I'm not sure that JPA will allow us to use the same very
schema/content we are using with JDBC (schema is created
automatically, we have serialized attributes, we "intelligently" avoid
useless updates, we lazy load the body, we have a custom locking
method). I think moving to JPA the current services does not worth it.
I guess working on a different spoolmanager and a different mail store
would be better invested.

Stefano