james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Status, Release Candidates and Derby
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2005 10:20:37 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Would people take a look at the current code and see if they feel
> comfortable with a release candidate?  Unless I encounter a definitive
> memory leak or other problem, I'd like to call a vote on a release
> candidate.  And since there are both configuration and functional changes,
> I'd suggest that v3 is perhaps the more appropriate designation than v2.3.

I would better like a a 2.3b1 or 3.0b1 (beta release) before the 3.0rc1.

I'm not sure James is ready for release candidate: changes I've done in
the past months need to be tested by a wider audience to understand
wether the users understand them or we need to change some behaviour.

Furthermore, I think that we could change our opinion (I hope it doesn't
happen but i'm not sure) about the "default" configuration (for mail
stores, or anything else) after a beta cycle and I would not be happy to
change similar thing in release candidate cycles.

Anyway I'm +1 for the release, soon!

About the version numbers I'm +1 for a 2.3.0 and +0 for 3.0.

We didn't publish a numbering rule, so it's a personal feeling.
I like the 2.3.0 because current trunk has less changes than the 2.1 to
2.2 step and it's not a "revolution".

I would prefer to keep the 3.0 for the "next generation" (pojo,
different container, different configuration style, much different

My preference is for an early 2.3.0 release and a fast move to the 3.0.
2.3.0 (current trunk) fixes a lot of bugs from 2.2.0 and is a due upgrade.