james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Problems using Derby for stores
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 04:13:52 GMT
Bernd,

> I set up a local test environment and eventually saw
> (a) OutOfMemorys (but only after a longer period of time, with -Xmx64M)

I am retesting.  The file based repositories all "leak" memory because they
keep their keys in memory, and I had an entry in my postal address list that
was going to an error repository.  I removed that entry, so all e-mail
should either be relayed to an SMTP sink or being picked up by rapid.

> (b) Not being able to terminate with control-c

Yes, I've noticed that, too.

>  would like to go on testing especially with two things

Go for it!  :-)

> Switch between DB/file and see how these two compare

Sure.  And you could also see if the performance appears to have improved or
degraded from the prior release.

> How many users are you testing (local/external)?

One local and one remote.  Mostly testing the overall pipeline.

> How much heap should be given to James when load-testing?

I am runnning JAMES with the stock setup.  But it just occured to me that I
should set JVM_OPTS to turn on Hotspot server.

> Just out of curiosity: Why is DB not used for all repos?

If you mean in the config.xml that I posted, I, personally, rarely use DB
for error, spam, virus, that sort of thing, and just use it for the main
pipeline and local POP3 users.  Actually, I prefer to use dbfile, which
gives us some benefits, but for now I want to test pure DB, since we are
using Derby for the first time.

	--- Noel