james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Working towards a release
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2005 05:47:56 GMT
Serge,

> Noel J. Bergman wrote
> > I am still concerned about the Derby related crash that I saw earlier.
> > Anyone have a clue?  And is there anything that we need to do to cleanly
> > shut Derby down?

> I'm at -0 over using Derby at this point.

Well, we aren't talking about it being the only database, just the default
database until a user configures another.

> my gut was telling me Derby isn't a production grade DB for the
> type of heavy IO use that James has.

I am leaning towards disagreeing with you.  Derby is used extensively and
reliably in commercial products.  I'm not sure what our issue is, so I'd
suggest that we try to get some help from the Derby folks to evaluate and
correct our use of it (cc: jta@apache.org).

> Maybe configure it as the default database, but still leave
> the file for now?  Or dbfile?

I don't believe that we're planning to remove support for file or dbfile any
time soon.  I prefer dbfile, actually, for my own use.

	--- Noel