james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <danny.an...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problems using Derby for stores
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:44:18 GMT
On 18/11/05, Daniel John Debrunner <djd@debrunners.com> wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
<some good stuff, ruthlessly snipped/>

Noel, I wasn't suggesting that we deprecate file-stores, but they
*would* become more of a niche, and probably used mainly for
interoperability with software which expects one of the common mail
file formats.

> > I'm not quite sure what that would mean to embed JAMES.
> I probably mean, embed some of JAMES's services in Derby.

I liked this, and thought of it not as locking James into derby to
support one or more services, but as an alternate implementation of a
service.
You could then lever all the power available from Derby to make James
fly in certain popular configurations (read this as "for key target
market segments").
For instance a "DebySpoolManager" might make good use of triggers, and
perform really smoothly, a "DerbyMailStore" could have a custom type
in the db that *was* a MimeMessage, and a custom function to return
its size in bytes.

Just my 2c though..

d.