james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@debrunners.com>
Subject Re: Problems using Derby for stores
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:47:59 GMT
Danny Angus wrote:
> Dan Debrunner wrote:
>

>>... bug fixes include much better performance on streaming
>>BLOB/CLOB data into Derby, and reduced memory usage during those
>
> operations.
>
> Have a Cigar :-)
>
> It might be worth you guys knowing what our requirements are, although I
> think we're approaching a resolution of this glitch.
>
> We want to ship derby embedded in James so that we can deprecate file based
> persistence, let our users have a one-stop download/install, compel our
> developers only to write for SQL persistence and have a straightforward
> upscale path from embedded derby to an independant networked db, multiple
> James's, and thence to the wacky world of database clusters, SAN's and the
> like without adding the headache of having to re-work any of the James
> bits.

Thanks for all the info. At ApacheCon Europe I discussed with Noel (in
his presentation) some of the possiblilities of integrating Derby and
James, the first step would be Derby as a data store for James.

I've downloaded James source and compiled it, and run it, though I
haven't yet tested sending e-mail to/through it. I briefly looked around
the James site but didn't see any instructions on how to set it up for
Derby, any pointers would be appreciated.

Subsequent possible integrations are James running within Derby to
provide better e-mail support from procedures, functions and triggers,
such as e-mail spooling. Then I wonder if transactional e-mail is
possible, send an e-mail from a trigger, but if the transaction
subsequently rolls back, don't send the e-mail.

Dan.