james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Problems using Derby for stores
Date Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:02:23 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> jta wrote:
>
>>2) Which jdbc driver is being used?
>
> See our config file.  The only entry is:
>
>    <driver>org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver</driver>
>
> I assume that answers the question, and that we are using the embedded
> driver version of Derby.  Should we be doing things differently?

That's fine. What it means is multiple connections to a given database
must be via the application that boots it.

I was interested in knowing which driver because there are some
memory-related jira issues opened against the network server / client
driver; for example, DERBY-210 and DERBY-550.

> How do we
> ensure that Derby gets shutdown cleanly, or at least can do what it needs to
> do to ensure that the database does not get corrupted by some other program
> failure?

When the embedded application exits, derby will be shut down.

You can also do a "clean shutdown", which will perform a checkpoint and
release resources. This does a clean shutdown for just database "foo":

    DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:foo;shutdown=true");

This shuts down all databases that the application has booted and also
shuts derby down:

    DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:;shutdown=true");

A clean shutdown always throws SQL exception XJ015, and this can be ignored.

If you don't cleanly shutdown a database, the next time the database is
started, Derby will run recovery on that database.

If you don't do a clean shutdown, nothing bad will happen; it just
causes a minor delay on the next startup.

Note that an application that connects using the network server and a
client jdbc driver shouldn't do a shutdown -- that could interfere with
other applications.

Dan, please correct me on any details here.

  -jean