james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bf_...@brainlounge.de>
Subject Re: Problems using Derby for stores
Date Sun, 13 Nov 2005 12:10:14 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>By default the page cache is 1000 pages, and the default page size is 4k.
>>However I would guess with James that the default page size is 32k, as
>>it increases for tables with BLOBs/CLOBs or long rows. Thus the page
>>cache is much bigger when using BLOBs etc.
>>
>>You can try bumping the page cache size down,
>>
>>derby.storage.pageCacheSize=100
>>
>>http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/tuning/rtunproper81359.html
>

> So just -D it when launching JAMES?

-D properties are indeed recognized at least for opening a socket for derby:

Added -Dderby.drda.startNetworkServer=true to the phoenix.sh command
line plus put derby[net|tools|client].jar into the lib directory
containing derby.jar.

now the embedded db could be connected using the derby command line
interface:

ij> connect 'jdbc:derby://localhost/../apps/james/var/derbydb'