james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Stefano Bagnara" <apa...@bago.org>
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2005 17:11:46 GMT
> I don't particularly care what we call it, so long as we can
> get it shipped soon/now.
> [...]
> The current "problem" is that we need to address BXA issues,
> else I would have already posted candidates.  I'm hoping that
> we can get this resolved soon.

BXA issues? Are they specific to James or a new issue regarding all ASF
projects?

> I'd rather see us get what we've got ready shipped, without
> having to wait, and add the necessary functionality as we go
> down the road.

Ok, I agree on this.

So we should make an almost "stable" release with few changes from 2.2.0 and
call it
A. 2.2.1
B. 2.3.0
C. 3.0.0

Then we can start working on Mailet API refactoring and Container removal
that will be the major changes for the next release:
For A and B: 3.0.0
For C: 4.0.0

My vote goes to B: let's make a 2.3.0 release as soon as possible and move
to 3.0 dev next.
2.3.0 will be really "feature similar" to 2.2.0 but some custom mailets will
need refactoring (avalon Component=>Service) and rebuild.
I would avoid 2.2.1 due to binary/source incompatibility for mailets, and
3.0 is a too big step considering that major incompatibilities will come
soon after the 3.0 release bringing us to a 4.0.0 release.

Reformulating my question for short-term work: is there any open
bug/"feature req" you would like to fix for the next "minor" release?

Stefano