james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject RE: Merge progress? (was RE: New matcher to MAIN or 2.1 branch?)
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2004 08:59:50 GMT

> There are also lots of ideas for JNDI and James in the archives from
> discussions last year.

I remember, it was that debate which swung me in favour of JNDI, so much so
that I'm prepared to both do the work and evangelise it :-)
Don't ever suggest I'm *always* grumpy and intransigent again ;-)

> Coincidentally, I posted a brief note on that topic last night to the
> directory-dev list:

Coolio.

>  Those weren't the changes I was concerned about.  The ones I
> was looking at were the ones related to moving the

  RFC2980DateFormat.java
  RFC822DateFormat.java
  RFC977DateFormat.java
  SimplifiedDateFormat.java
  SynchronizedDateFormat.java

> classes from o.a.j.util to o.a.m.dates, methods like:

    String getName();
    void setName(String name);
    void setLastUpdated(Date date);
    Date getLastUpdated();

> in o.a.m.Mail, etc.

> My thought with respect to lastUpdated is that it is specific to
spooling,
> and is only of use for a mailet like RemoteDelivery which has its own
> internal queue.  I suggest that we could refactor RemoteDelivery into a
> generic base class and a specialized subclass.  A grep of the codebase
shows
> that the only mailet calls to those methods are in RemoteDelivery (and a
> debug output in AbstractRedirect).

> I can more easily see a requirement that a mailet container assign a
locally
> unique ID, but I would think it should be a read-only property.  The
> exception in the current code is in RemoteDelivery, where instead of
cloning
> a mail instance, we keep changing it as we writing it into the queue.

seems reasonable when you put it like that.

> And then we have the question of where to put the Date classes.

I'm strongly in favour of these being in the API.

> That appears to be it, other than the mail repository changes (which I
think
> we are agreed to postone so that we can do it via JNDI),

agreed.

viruses.