james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject Re: when to dot-stuff, dot-strip
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 12:27:58 GMT

Rich,

> I notice that everything going through my server (an
> offshoot of James) gets dot-stripped when it comes in through SMTP,
> and dot-stuffed again when it goes out through SMTP or POP3

Yep.

> -- BUT I
> NEVER USE IT IN THE DOT-STRIPPED CONDITION.

Huh? internally do you mean?

>  Why don't I just skip the
> stuffing and stripping entirely?

Partly because I suspect James is "normalised" internally so that we can
assume that everything going out needs to be dot-stuffed.

Everything coming in is dot-stuffed.

Everything going out must be dot-stuffed.

The choice is to develop some kind of logic to determine and mark the
stuffing status of messages, or strip and stuff everything.
I think the latter is safer, but the former would be more efficient.

I guess you'd have to do an impact analysis of your change to determine
whether it made architectural sense, and then compare performance to see if
there was enough benefit to make it worth while changing James.

The current "stuff/strip everything" is stable, safe, easy to predict and
compliant. You ought to take some convincing that ther perfomace
improvement is real and large enough to jeapordise this.

(IMHO)

d.

viruses.