james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject Re: Contributing a mailet
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2004 09:33:50 GMT

> with the @author tag in javadocs.

Actually the James  project don't put @author tags in our code, however it
would be acceptable to add comments like "initiallly contributed by..." or
"From work contributed by..." plus a mention in the docs/website.

The reasons for this are fairly well established; we do want to acknowledge
contributions and involvement but at the same time we want to discourage
people from being too possesive about "their" code, this is a collaborative
project. We want to avoid authors being contacted off list by people
looking for support, but above all we want to ensure that liability for any
piece of James is with the James PMC and/or the ASF and that no one can
infer that a single individual might be liable for any single piece of
code.

d.

viruses.