james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject Re: aliases
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 11:47:26 GMT

 >If you really want to use it I will do it once I finished my current
 >project.

I wondered how this ties into James' users, if there is a maping between
users and addresses would it not be better to (eventually) include this in
the account details, rather than an external mapping..

If what you have works without altering James User functionality, and gets
there using dynamic mapping of aliases then thats just fine (because it is
self contained), but not a whole solution.
IMHO a whole solution would have to have integrated (integrated with James'
User repositories) support for multiple mail domains each having distinct
user namespace.

(I've tested a solution which uses POP binding to IP addresses to decide
which domains set of users to log you onto,
and as a "named vhost"  alternative the use of full addresses as usernames
to determine which domain to use. I had a hdd head crash and lost it, but
to my mind any "complete" vhost solution would have to have unique user
account namespaces for each mail domain. As POP3 makes it hard to identify
what domain you think you are logging into the awkwardness arises there,
and not with the internal handling of account names and mail routing)

By all means post your contributions, at the very least we can add them to
/contrib/.

d.

PS don't be put off by my negativity, I'm happy you've done this, I just
wanted to work out what it was..

viruses.