james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini" <vincenzo.gianferrarip...@praxis.it>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Release Plan
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:14:11 GMT
> This is a bit long, so let me start right up front and ask whom has code
> that they would like considered for the next James release?
>
>   Vincenzo:         S/MIME code?
This mailet (server side signing) is properly working, and just needs to be javadoc enhanced
and some ho-to documentation.
But as I found a problem with Outlook Express (see http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=james-dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=9935)
because it considers as a tampering the fact of having the signature not coming from the sender,
I thought that this mailet would not be considered useful (I took it out myself from my production
system).
I also sent a "probe" (see http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=james-dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=9937)
to understand which MUA-s were well behaved, but only Serge and Matthew Pangaro did reply.
But if there is interest I would be quite happy to finalize and commit the mailet. Let me
know.

>                     Bayesian code?
This one is happily working since many months now in my production system, and has classified
about 40,000 messages as probability(spam) > 99% in 10 months, with only a couple of false
positives. I already promised to commit it to CVS, but but some finalization is needed like
javadoc, modifications to sqlResources.xml or even better serializing the corpus to a file
for performance. Regarding this last issue, it turns out that updating the database with statistics
about every word usage is quite heavy (> one minute per message submitted for learning);
normal analysis is instead quite fast.

I'm using in production since a long time also a virus-check matcher: IsInfected. It has stopped
about 500 infected messages per day since Mydoom has exploded, and I'm very happy with it.
As I always found a lot of perplexity (that I didn't understand) in the James lists about
virus-check matchers, I never committed it to CVS. But let me know.

Vincenzo