james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Contributing a mailet
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2004 22:51:22 GMT
> But since I will not be protected from them, I don't think I can
> risk contributing it.

I didn't say that, what I said, if you had given me the courtesy to read the reply I had the
courtesy to send you was

"the ASF protects individuals against action
 being taken
 personally against them by itself being the owner, and licensor of the
 software. It is therefore a duty of all commiters to ensure that
 nothing is"

If you contributed your mailet, and *if* we chose to accept it, there would be nothing anyone
could gain by sueing *you*.
You would have granted a perpetual and irrevocable licence to the ASF to distribute your contribution
under the terms of the ASFL, and therfore they would have to sue the ASF.

We would be unlikely to accept a contribution that was likely to result in legal action, but
we're certainly not going to reject a contribution which is entirely legitimate, no matter
what commercial interests it might annoy.
Consider how much httpd annoys Microsoft, should the ASF be nice and stop distributing that?..
hell no!

d.